This is a pioneering work in the field of embolization, an area of surgery that’s only about two decades old. Embolization is the therapeutic introduction of a substance – usually called an embolus – into a blood vessel or an organ for the purpose of occluding it.
It is a technique used for the purpose of preventing hemorrhage for example, by placing a foreign mass such as an air-filled balloon. Such a procedure is also utilized to block the flow of blood in order to restrict the growth of an unwanted mass, or to shrink it.
Originally used as a means to treat patients with hemorrhagic conditions, embolization has evolved over the years to treat many situations, including:
- Hepatic malignancies
- Neurovascular conditions
- Uterine fibroids
- Vascular malformations
This book provides you ample illustrations of the above anomalies and more, including diagnosis and assessment of treatment options.
More than a hundred experts from all over the United States and 11 other countries – Brazil, Canada, China, France, Ireland, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, South Korea, Spain, and Switzerland – contributed to the 61 chapters that comprise this book. The material has been organized in 19 sections categorized into Parts I, II and III as shown below:
- Embolic Materials
- Introduction to Embolic Agents
- Coils and Plugs
- Particulate Agents
- Liquid Agents
- Clinical Applications
- Intracranial and Spine Embolization
- Head and Neck Embolization
- Thoracic Embolization
- Trauma Embolization
- Peripheral Embolization
- Gastrointestinal Arterial Embolization
- Gastrointestinal Venous Embolization
- Hepatic Embolization
- Intravascular Delivery of Therapeutic Agents
- Abdominal Aorta Aneurysm Endoleaks
- Visceral Aneurysms
- Genitourinary Embolization
- Gynecologic Embolization
- Pediatric Embolization
- Practice Development and the Future of Embolotherapy
The entire contents in the print edition of this book are available for download as an eBook. Follow these simple steps:
- Go to http://solution.lww.com/access
- Enter the Access Code found on the inside front cover of this book
- Enter your information, click Submit, and follow the on-screen instructions to start reading your eBook
Your book purchase includes not only a complimentary download of the enhanced eBook for iOS, Android, PC and Mac, but also includes these features:
- Complete content with enhanced navigation
- Powerful search tools and smart navigation cross-links that pull results from content in the book, your notes, and even the web
- Cross-linked pages, references, and more for easy navigation
- Highlighting tool for easier reference of key content throughout the text
- Ability to take and share notes with friends and colleagues
- Quick reference tabbing to save your favorite content for future use
This book has been developed by and for use by neurologists, radiologists and surgeons, including interventional, neurological, and vascular radiologists and surgeons. Other specialists such those involved in medical imaging, oncology, and other fields will also find its contents quite useful.
The book contains hundreds of images to make your learning and study easier.
Among the various benefits of owning this book are, in a nutshell, the following. This book:
- Covers all basic techniques as well as specialized procedures such as interventional radiology, management of vascular malformations, endovascular management of trauma, uterine fibroid embolization, and more.
- Offers the knowledge and experience of dozens of recognized experts in vascular and interventional radiology, neuro-interventional radiology, and vascular surgery worldwide.
- Provides updated standards of care from global authorities in the field, as well as personal tips and tricks in quick-reference tables throughout.
- Contains a chapter on practice development and the future of embolization therapy, helping you add value to a portfolio of procedures with specialized or unusual techniques.
- Gives clear, concise guidance on intracranial and spine embolization, head and neck embolization, peripheral embolization, gastrointestinal arterial and venous embolization, hepatic embolization, intravascular delivery of therapeutic agents, pediatric embolization, and much more.
Marcelo Guimares, MD, FSIR is Associate Professor of Radiology and Surgery in the Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina.
Riccardo Lencioni, MD, FSIR is Professor and Division Director of Diagnostic Imaging and Intervention at Pisa University School of Medicine in Pisa, Italy.
Gary P. Siskin, MD, FSIR is Professor and Chairman of the Department of Radiology at Albany Medical College in Albany, New York.