The purpose of this book is stated very clearly at the outset of this book, in the Preface: to prepare you for the National Council of Examiners in Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
An interesting item – that is probably not found in any exam review manual – comes together with this book for the purchaser: a three-month money-back guarantee if you follow the guidelines in the How to Use This Book section and do not pass the exam. Instructions are provided for you at the beginning of this book on how to claim a refund.
In 2014, the NCEES adopted revised specifications for the exam. The council also transitioned from a paper-based exam to a computer-based testing (CBT) version. With this online version, you sit in front of a monitor, and respond to the questions. You can access an online reference database and use an electronic notepad to do your calculations before answering the questions.
There are three challenges in the CBT version of this exam that this review manual helps you overcome. They are:
- The subjects in the testable body of knowledge are oddly limited
- The NCEES FE Reference Handbook is poorly organized
- Traditional studying, doing homework while working toward a degree, and working as a career engineer are poor preparations for the CBT exam experience.
The author Michael R. Lindeburg, who developed this comprehensive review manual, writes that no other exam review book helps you to pass these hurdles. He states that “this book was designed and written from the ground up,” and it is “as unconventional as the exam.” Below we present to you the fifteen “topics” covered in this book:
- Probability and Statistics
- Properties of Electrical Materials
- Engineering Sciences
- Circuit Analysis and Linear Systems
- Control Systems
- Communications and Signal Processing
- Computer Networks and Systems
- Digital Systems
- Software Development
- Engineering Economics
- Ethics and Professional Practice
PPI offers this print book as a web book at www.feprep.com. Features of the web book include the ability to:
- Read the book on any web-enabled device
- Add electronic notes and book marks
- Perform a full text search
- Answer questions in an interactive environment
Your original ownership of the print book qualifies you for free access to the web book for a limited period of time. Upon registration, the duration of the trial will be visible next to the product’s name under the My Products drop-down menu.
To start your free web book trial, navigate to www.feprep.com/register and create a free feprep.com account, or use your existing feprep.com or ppi2pass.com account credentials.
Enter the registration number found on the inside front cover of your book. You will see a confirmation message indicating you have successfully registered your book. Navigate to your Dashboard, and use either the Web Book icon or My Products drop-down menu to select the web book and start reading.
Some of the important benefits of using this review manual are that it offers:
- Complete coverage of Electrical and Computer FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam knowledge areas and the relevant elements – equations, figures, and tables – from the NCEES FE Reference Handbook.
- 15 mini examinations for assessment of your grasp of the exam’s knowledge areas, and concise explanations of thousands of equations and hundreds of figures and tables.
- Everything you need to succeed on the Electrical and Computer FE exam.
- Logical organization of elements and grouping of related concepts that the Handbook has in disparate locations. All Handbook elements shown in blue for easy identification.
- Equations and their associated variations and values clearly presented.
- Succinct descriptions support by exam-like sample problems, with step-by-step solutions to reinforce the theory and application of fundamental concepts.
- Thousands of terms indexed to facilitate cross-referencing.
This book is part of a complete online review system that also includes:
- FE Electrical and Computer Practice Exam
- FE Electrical and Computer Assessments
- FE Electrical and Computer Flashcards
- FE Electrical and Computer Quiz Bank
Michael R. Lindeburg, PE is one of the best-known authors of engineering textbooks and references. His books and courses have influenced millions of engineers around the world. Since 1975, he has authored over 30 engineering reference and exam preparation books. He has spent thousands of hours teaching engineering to students and practicing engineers. He holds bachelor of science and master of science degrees in industrial engineering from Stanford University.