This is a compact yet exhaustive pocket-sized book on children’s heart ailments and diseases. It is a companion to Pediatric Cardiology for Practitioners, also authored by Dr. Park (see Biz India Online News review: http://www.bizindia.net/book-review-parks-pediatric-cardiology-for-practitioners-6th-edition/)
This handy (7.5” x 4.5” x 1”) guide is designed for use as a quick reference tool for the practicing pediatric cardiologist, resident or student in this medical specialty. With color-marked page-edge tabs for each of its 29 chapters, a wealth of information is available to you at your finger tips.
The information in this outstanding work is in summary and outline form with bullet points, numbers or letters, along with useful boxes, charts, figures, images and tables. It is perfect for the on-the-go physician who needs to check into or study up on a topic in a limited amount time. We provide below an overview of what you will (or will not find) in this portable book:
- Basic Tools in Evaluation of Cardiac Patients
- History and Physical Examination
- Chest Roentgenography
- Special Tools Used in Cardiac Evaluation
- Noninvasive Imaging Tools
- Other Noninvasive Tools
- Invasive Procedures
- Congenital Heart Defects
- Left-to-Right Shunt Lesions
- Obstructive Lesions
- Cyanotic Congenital Heart Defects
- Miscellaneous Congenital Heart Diseases
- Acquired Heart Diseases
- Primary Myocardial Diseases
- Cardiovascular Infections and Related Conditions
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Cardiac Tumors
- Cardiovascular Involvement in Systemic Diseases
- Arrhythmias and Atrioventicular Conduction Disturbances
- Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Atrioventicular Conduction Disturbances
- Pacemakers and Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators
- Special Problems
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Child with Chest Pain
- Systemic Hypertension
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Athletes with Cardiac Problems
- Preventive Cardiology
- Cardiac Surgical Patients
- Mehrdad Salamat
- Pre- and Postoperative Management
- Selected Postoperative Complications
- Blood Pressure Standards
- Cardiovascular Risk Factors
- Normal Echocardiographic Values
- Dosages of Drugs Used in Pediatric Cardiology
To get access to the contents of this book and other information online, first redeem your PIN from the inside front cover of the book. Here’s what you do:
- Login or Sign Up at www.ExpertConsult.com
- Scratch off the gray stickler on the inside from cover to get your PIN code
- Enter PIN into the Redeem a Book Code box at the above website
- Click Redeem
- Go to My Library
Once you have logged in, these are the innovative features available to you online:
- Seamless, real-time integration between devices
- Straightforward navigation and search
- Notes and highlights sharing with other users through social media
- Enhanced images with annotations, labels, and hot spots for zooming on specific details
- Live streaming video and animations
- Self-assessment tools such as questions embedded within the text and multiple-format quizzes. *Some features vary by title
You can get even more valuable information from an allied website – www.ClinicalKey.com. This search engine of Elsevier Saunders is specially designed for doctors by providing them:
- Comprehensive Content – the most current, evidence-based answers available for every medical and surgical specialty.
- Trusted Answers – content supplied by Elsevier, the world’s leading provider of health and science information.
- Unrivaled Speed to Answer – faster, more relevant clinical answers, so you can spend less time searching and more time caring for your patients.
You can use this book to diagnose congenital and acquired heart disease heart disease in children. Here are some of the benefits of using this book:
- Familiarize yourself with the latest in developments in the field with this the fifth edition of this book. You will find updates on topics (among others) such as: blood pressure, cardiac arrhythmias, cardiomyopathies, congenital heart defects, endocarditis, and systemic hypertension.
- Stay abreast of new recommendations for lipid screening for children, as well as normative blood pressure standards for auscillometric and oscillometric methods obtained in the San Antonio Blood Pressure Study.
- Access and expanded section covering two-dimensional echocardiography and consult detailed normative values of echocardiography in the Appendix.
- Study the newest approaches in cardiac surgery such as hybrid procedures.
- ExpertConsult eBook version included with purchase. This enhanced eBook experience allows you to search all of the text and figures in the book on a variety of devices.
This is a concise yet comprehensive resource on pediatric cardiology.
Myung K. Park, MD, FAAP, FACC is Professor Emeritus of Pediatrics, Former Director of Pediatric Cardiology, Former Director of Preventive Cardiology at Wright Management Clinics at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, Texas
Mehrdad Salamat, MD, FAAP, FACC is Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics in the College of Medicine at Texas A&M University Health Science Center in College Station, Texas; and Attending Cardiologist at Driscoll Children’s Hospital in Corpus Christi, Texas.