The term hernia is derived from Greek language meaning young shoot. It is essentially a protrusion through a preformed or secondary gap. An external hernia passes through the abdominal wall and becomes visible on the surface of the body. Meanwhile an internal hernia results from protrusion into a peritoneal pocket.
Interparietal hernias of the abdominal wall occupy an intermediate position. Intra- and retroperitoneal organs can be displaced constantly and intermittently with the hernia. Complete and incomplete (partial or Richter) hernias are distinguished depending on the content of the sac
Forty-one specialists in hernia surgery from mainly Germany but also including Austria, Belgium, France, and Switzerland, authored the chapters of this book that we list below
- Anatomy of the Anterior Abdominal Wall
- Definition and Terminology
- History of Hernia Surgery
- Repair Principles and Materials
- Hernia Biomechanics
- Biological Meshes
- Pediatric Hernia
- Adult Inguinal Hernia
- Indications and Procedure
- Open Suture Techniques
- Open Mesh Technique
- Laparoscopic Techniques
- Special Hernias
- Female Hernia
- Sportsman’s Groin
- Sliding Hernia
- Recurrent Hernia
- Umbilical Hernia
- Femoral Hernia
- Rare Hernias
- Incisional Hernia
- General Principles
- Open Technique
- Laparoscopic Repair of Incisional Hernias
- Abdominal Wall Tumors
- Postoperative Pain
- Triple Neurectomy
- Training in Hernia Surgery
- Hernia Register: Outcome research in Hernia Surgery
You can access the content of this book by registering your copy on https://medone.thieme.com/9783132405516
- Scratch off the gray film found on the inside back cover
- Enter the QR code or your access code at MedOne.Thieme.com/code
- Set up a Username on MedOne and sign in to activate your e-book on most phones, tablets, or personal computers
- After you successfully register and activate your code, you can find your book and additional media at; https://medone.thieme.com/9783132405516
- The personal code is disabled once the e-book is first activated. Use of this product is restricted to the buyer or, for library purposes, authorized users.
- Sharing passwords is not permitted. Te publisher has the right to take legal steps for violations
- Access to online material is solely provided to the buyer for personal use. Commercisl use is not permitted.
Among the notable features of this book are:
- 3D mesh and patch-and-plug procedures
- Laparoscopic procedures such as the single-port technique and min-technique
- New developments in open and laparoscopic surgery of incisional hernias
- Special disorders such as sports hernia
- Richly illustrated with hundreds of excellent schematic drawings
Hernia surgeries have a history going back to over 200 years, and today, they have become quite routine procedures. But in some cases they can be challenging, and this book provides the solutions the solutions needed to overcome them. All types of operative techniques are covered and discussed in this book.
With rich, detailed illustrations, Hernia Surgery provides you step-by-step methods to complete the surgeries successfully. Overall it is a great book on the subject. .
Volker Schumpelick, MD is Professor Emeritus and former president of the European Hernia Society.
Georg Arlt, MD is Associate Professor in the Department of General, Visceral, and Minimally Invasive Surgery at Park-Klinik Weissensee in Berlin, Germany
Joachim Conze, MD is Associate Professor at UM Hernia Center Dr. Conze in Munich, Germany.
Karsten Junge, MD is Professor in the Department of General, Visceral, and Minimally Invasive Surgery at Rhein-Maas Klinikum in Wurselen, Germany.