Editor: James D. Luketich, MD.
Associate Editors: Rodney J. Landreneau, MD and Arjun Pennathur, MD
Series Editor: Josef E. Fischer, MD. This book is part of the Master Techniques in Surgery
Publisher: Wolters Kluwer | Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins – 438 pages
Book Review by: Nano Khilnani
Surgery involving the esophagus is complex, write the editors – Drs. Luketich, Landrenau, and Pennathur – of this rare type of book. This book is unique in that it focuses on the technical aspects of esophageal surgery, and the material for it has been written by world-renowned surgeons who have expertise in complex esophageal surgery.
It has been put together for the benefit of practicing physicians and surgeons, faculty members in medical schools, trainees, students, and anyone else interested in the subject.
Your book purchase includes an eBook version, rebuilt for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, PC and Mac. This eBook features:
- Complete content with enhanced navigation
- A powerful search that pulls results from the book contents, your notes, and even the web
- Cross-linked pages, references, and more for easy navigation
- Ability to take and share notes with friends and colleagues
- Quick reference tabbing to save your favorite content for future
To get started with your interactive eBook:
- Go to http://solution.lww.com/luketich
- Enter the Access Code found on the inside front cover of your book
- Sign in or create an Inkling account to complete checkout and start reading
Sixty-two individuals from the United States and Canada, China, France, and Germany contributed material for this book. They are doctors, fellows, professors and surgeons who wrote or co-wrote the 37 chapters of this book which are organized around six Parts, namely:
- Surgical Treatment of Gastroesophageal Reflux and Paraesophageal Hernia
- Surgical Treatment of Esophageal Motility Disorders – Achalasia and Esophageal Diverticula
- Techniques and Approaches for Esophageal Resection
- Resection of Benign Esophageal Tumors
- Endoscopic Ablative Therapies and Resection
- Miscellaneous Esophageal Procedures
Materials in the chapters are presented with bullet points and paragraphs, following this order:
- Preoperative Planning
- Surgery (with subtopics depending on type of procedure
- Postoperative Management
To further your knowledge on the type of surgical procedure covered in a given chapter, a list of Recommended References and Readings is provided for you at the end.
Detailed black-and-white and full-color line drawings help you visualize the steps involved is particular surgical procedures. Actual photos of anatomical parts being operated on, are also provided to you to make your learning easier. Photo captions enhance that learning, and tables provide you helpful data.
This is a highly useful and helpful book on the specialty area of esophageal surgery with materials contributed by some of the world’s most renowned experts.
James D. Luketich, MD is the Henry T. Behnson Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Chairman of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Rodney J. Landreneau, MD is Medical Director of Ochsner Cancer Institute; Vice Chairman of Surgery at Ochsner Medical Center; and Clinical Professor of Surgery at LSU Medical Center in New Orleans, Louisiana. He is also a Senior Lecturer at the University of Queensland School of Medicine in Brisbane, Australia.
Arjun Pennathur, MD, FACS is Assistant Professor in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Josef E. Fischer, MD is the William V. McDermott Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School and Chairman of the Department of Surgery at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Emeritus in Boston, Massachusetts.
Body-Scientific International LLC
Anne Rains, Arains Illustration, Inc.