This is an unusually interesting and useful book: it provides you images of devices that have special functions. We want to bring your attention to the link we have provided in Section V below the list of chapters. Once you click on the link, you will be provided a wealth of information on orthopedic devices. Be sure to go to it.
In his Foreword to this book, Lee F. Rogers writes about a difficulty some physicians encounter:
“Admittedly it is hard, essentially impossible, to remembers the correct designation of all but the most commonly encountered hardware. So where does one turn in search of the correct terminology foe these devices?
There has been no one single source for such information. The search was time consuming You have to look through multiple sources online and leaf through books, scientific journals, and the catalogues of the various companies that produced these devices. This problem is now solved by the publication of Radiologic Guide to Orthopedic Devices.”
Eight specialists in medical imaging, musculoskeletal radiology, nuclear medicine, orthopedic surgery, and related fields from around the United States authored the chapters of this book.
We list the 11 chapters of this book below to provide you an overview of what you will find in this book:
- Section I – Introduction
- Radiologic Guide to Orthopedic Devices and Miscellaneous Foreign Bodies: An Introduction
- Biomaterials: An Overview
- Section II – Orthopedic Apparatus
- Fracture Fixation
- Joint Arthroplasty
- Complications of Orthopedic Apparatus
- Section III – Neck and Spine Apparatus
- Medical Devices of the Neck and Spine
- Dental Devices
- Section IV – Medical Devices: Other Considerations
- Orthopedic Medical Devices and Cross-Sectional Imaging: Protocols and Artifacts
- Nuclear Medicine Imaging: Medical Devices and Artifacts
- Foreign Bodies
- Medical Devices: Legal, Regulatory and Quality Assurance Considerations
- Section V – Gallery of Orthopedic Medical Devices
For Section V, copy this link below and paste it on your browser: https://www.google.com/search?q=medical%20apparatus%20Gallery%20Introduction
This is an unusual book that helps fulfill certain needs for special and specific orthopedic devices. The chapters are filled with numerous images of various orthopedic and other types of devices. This book is a must-buy and a keepsake if you are looking for such devices. Also, save in some place safe and easy to remember, the link provided above.
Tim B. Hunter is Professor Emeritus of Medical Imaging at the University of Arizona College of Medicine.
Mihra S. Taljanovic is Director of Musculoskeletal Imaging Research and Development, and Professor of Medical Imaging and Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Arizona College of Medicine.
Jason R. Wild is Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Arizona College of Medicine.