Author: James F. Griffith, MD
Contributing Authors: Ryan K. Lee, MBChB; Esther H.Y. Hung, MBChB; Alex W.H. Ng, MBChB; Bhawan K. Paunipagar, MBBS; Gregory E. Antonio, MD; Eric K.H.Liu, PhD; Karen Partingon, MRCS; Eugene McNally, FRCR; Philip Yoong, FRCR; Stella Sin Yee Ho, RDMS; Jim M. Abrigo, MD; Yolanda Y.P. Lee, MBChB; K.T. Wong, MBChB.
Publisher: Elsevier – Amirsys – 1,008 pages
Book Review by: Nano Khilnani
This book is for practicing and aspiring orthopedists, orthopedic surgeons, physiotherapists, radiologists, rheumatologists, sports physicians and anyone involved in helping people with musculoskeletal and neuromuscular ailments, diseases, disorders, and pains.
Some commonly known disorders and diseases relating to muscles and nerves are: Huntington’s disease, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, paralysis, and Parkinson’s disease.
Among the common skeletal, bone and joint disorders and diseases known to the general public are: arthritis, dysplasia, osteoarthritis, and osteoporosis.
Of course, there are many, many more musculoskeletal diseases and disorders, and ultrasound is just one of about a dozen or so methods of imaging such abnormalities in the human body. A couple of common other modalities are CT (computed tomography) and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging).
The use of ultrasound transducers began in the early 1990s, the main author Dr. Griffith points out. Today, about two decades later, we are seeing the realization of the full potential of ultrasound, he writes. Solid evidence of this fact is revealed in the nearly 3,000 images presented in this book, organized around this outline of its contents:
- Upper Limb
- Lower Limb
- Introduction and Overview
- Tendon Disorders
- Soft Tissue, Bone, and Joint Inquiry
- Neurovascular Abnormalities
- Articular and Paraarticular Masses
- Soft Tissue and Bone Tumors
- Differential Diagnoses
- General Lumps and Bumps
- Tendon Abnormalities
- Nerve, Fascia, and Bone
- Joint Abnormalities
- Chest and Abdominal Wall
- Interventional Procedures
- Joint Procedures
You can access the entire contents of this book plus additional materials through Amirsys eBook Advantage. Do the following:
- Scratch off silver coating on the inside front cover of your book to get your license key
- Go to: http://ebooks.amirsys.com
- Existing users: log in to your account
- New eBook Advantage users: Register for a new account
- Register your title with this license key
(You may need to log out and log back in to see your new eBook in your list of registered titles)
Here are key benefits of this book:
- Readily accessible chapter layout with succinct, bulleted teaching points and almost 3,000 high-quality illustrative clinical cases and schematic designs.
- All-inclusive section on musculoskeletal ultrasound anatomy, as well as a comprehensive interventional section covering musculoskeletal ultrasound.
- Approaches musculoskeletal ultrasound from two different viewpoints: that of a specific diagnosis (Dx section), followed by that of a specific ultrasound appearance (DDx section).
- Differential diagnosis section features supportive images and text outlining the key discriminatory features necessary in reaching the correct diagnosis.
- Provides a solid understanding of musculoskeletal ultrasound anatomy and pathology.
James F. Griffith, MD, MRCP, FRCR is Professor of Imaging and Interventional Radiology in the Department of Imaging and Interventional Radiology at the Chinese University of Hong Kong in Hong Kong, a Special Administrative Region or SAR of China.
Jill M. Abrigo, MD, FRCR – Clinical Officer
Gregory E. Antonio, MD, DRANZCR, FHKCR – Honorary Professor of Imaging and Interventional Radiology
Stella Sin Yee Ho, RDMS, RVT, PhD – Adjunct Associate Professor
Esther H.Y. Hung, MBChB, FRCR, FHRCR, FHKAM (Radiology) – Associate Consultant and Clinical Assistant Professor (Radiology)
Ryan K. Lee, MBChB, FRCR, FHKAM (Radiology) – Associate Consultant and Clinical Assistant Professor (Radiology)
Yolanda Y.P. Lee, MBChB, FRCR< FHKCR, FHKAM (Radiology) – Associate Consultant and Clinical Associate Professor
Eric K.H.Liu, PhD, RDMS – Adjunct Associate Professor
Alex W.H. Ng, MBChB, FRCR< FHKCR, FHKAM (Radiology) – Consultant and Clinical Associate Professor (Radiology)
K.T. Wong, MBChb, FRCR, FHKCR, FHKAM (Radiology) – Associate Consultant and Clinical Associate Professor
All of the contributing authors named above, except Drs. McNally, Partington, Paunipagar and Yoong, are affiliated with the Prince of Wales Hospital, with their respective titles placed next to their names. All are also members of the Faculty of Medicine in the Department of Imaging and Interventional Radiology at the Chinese University of Hong Kong in Hong Kong (SAR), China.
Eugene McNally, FRCR, FRCPI is Consultant Musculoskeletal Radiologist in the Department of Radiology at Nuffield Orthopedic Center in Oxford, United Kingdom.
Karen Partington, MRCS, FRCR is Consultant Musculoskeletal Radiologist in the Department of Radiology at Nuffield Orthopedic Center in Oxford, United Kingdom.
Bhawan K. Paunipagar, MBBS, MD, DNB is Senior Consultant Radiologist and Head of the MRI / CT Division in the Department of Radiology at Wockhardt Hospitals in Mumbai, India.
Philip Yoong, FRCR is Consultant Radiologist at Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading, United Kingdom.